Monday, April 11, 2011

Hellish Mount Diablo + Morgan Territory

So this ride hurt, two days out and my legs are still sore.  I even asked 'why' and 'what did I get myself into', but there is a saying Team-in-Training uses which is 'No Why'.  I'm now familiar as to why 'No Why'.

The ride start was at Osage Park in Danville at 8 am.  I had planned to take BART to Walnut Creek and ride to the start but when I went to leave I found a flat front tire which needed changing.  I had replaced both my front and back tires the evening before and I made the rookie mistake of getting my tube caught between the rim and the tire.  Luckily the flat was a blessing in disguise because the additional twenty miles would have pushed me over the edge.

Climbing Mount Diablo in the early morning.

The ride was a nice 68 miles with 7000 feet of ascent.  The climb up Diablo felt great, nice and strong.  The descent was cold and slow.  After the major climb we headed north to Walnut Creek and then east to get to the Morgan Territory.  Morgan Territory is a narrow road that ascends through beautiful woods for 2000 feet.  It was here the challenge really set in.  Half way up the climb I could feel my legs start to cramp.  As usual I slowed my pace and started to drink even more.  By the top I was pretty beat. 
Top of Diablo

The descent is one of the best in the area.  A generally long slope with few sharp corners.  Yet after the descent the ride turned north and west the headwinds appeared.  I tried my best to stay with the group in a pace line to help buffer the headwind, but my legs were quickly turning to Jello.  About 8-miles out from the finish I decided to drop of the back and give my legs a bit of rest at a slower pace.  I'm sure they are thanking me. 

I've decided that I need to break out my camel-pack.  I find that even though I've been staying pretty hydrated, I stay more hydrated with the pack.  Besides, I've been told that on the Death Ride temperatures can get in the nineties, which is usually my limit.  I generally do not ride with those types of temps.  Hence, I'll need the pack for more hydration. 



No comments: