Friday, May 27, 2011

Know why - No why!! (part II)

part I - http://larrysorelegs.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-ride.html

This post was going to be an incredibly happy post, but events this past week have tempered it quite a bit. 

First the happy part.  A few weeks ago, my cousin Connie marked her two year anniversary from her last chemotherapy treatment for B-cell lymphoma and remains cancer free.  In 2009 while in for an unrelated surgery it was discovered that she had Stage 4 B-cell lymphoma.  As much of the cancer as possible was removed surgically at that time.  After confirmation she quickly went on R-CHOP, rituxan plus chemotherapy.  Obviously she responded well to the therapy for now it has been two years!!!  Woo Hoo!! 

Connie is nearly a big sister to me.   I realize now that my youth was extremely charmed.  Our extended family remained fairly close, in part to the fact that at one point or another we all lived in the same building.  My parents owned a three unit apartment building in Auburn, Maine where our family lived on the top floor.  For the longest time, my Pepere and Memere lived in the middle.  The bottom floor was occupied by mon Oncle Bob and Tante Pauline and my cousins.  Connie was the eldest.  After they moved my mon Oncle Gary and Aunt Kathy moved in.  I think nearly everyone on my father's side, at one time or another, lived in the apartment building.  It's charmed in that it helped to keep the family more closely connected.  Hence, I think of Connie as nearly a sister.  Connie has one of the most kind and gentle hearts there is (Trevor is another).  Everyone else, including me, are simply mean SOBs compared to those two.  She always has a smile and always non-judgmental.  There are so many times I've stopped myself and asked 'what would Connie do?' to help make my decision. 

I'm beyond happy that she has remained cancer free.

Jackie

Yet this week I learn that yet another cousin, Jackie, is stricken with cancer (Hepatocellular cancer, i.e. liver).  Jackie holds an extremely rarefied place in my memory.  I so wanted to be like her as a kid and still do.  As a kid, I remember her being FEARLESS and that is what I wanted to be.  I hadn't seen her in years but I got to see her last year at my Dad's 70th and it made my year.   Forgive me if my tone is poor or my sadness is coming through.  This sucks...cancer sucks!!  I wish I could be there to give her a big old hug. 



I ride for Connie...

I ride for Jackie...

I ride for you...

I ride for me...

Please click on through and donate as little or as much as you would like.  Every little bit helps, even $1.00.  With checks in hand and employer matching I'm almost at the $4,000.00 raised mark.  Merci, but send some warm thoughts my cousin Jackie's way first.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/touralps11/llitalien



1 comment:

Martha Catevenis said...

We will never know why our family has been stricken with these terrible tribulations, but because of this we now know how to love, support, and comfort better than any family I know.

We are all strong and will face whatever is ahead knowing that this great big extended family is by our side!!!

Hugs to all.

Martha