Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 3: June 3, 2008 (King City to Paso Robles)

65.51 miles, Quadbuster day


The longest mileage day is followed by a relatively short day with one of the 'toughest' hills named Quadbuster. If you've followed my training I've done much more difficult hills (i.e. Henry Coe) but I was still grimacing a bit at the top. I should mention I had my morning routine down pat by day 3 and was standing in line waiting for the route to open before 6:30 am.

Below: The line-up waiting for the route to open.

I actually thought the approach to Quadbuster was more of a pain then Quadbuster itself. The approach was an ever so gentle incline that just went on and on and on. Literally a pain in the ass. The first rest area was just shy of the hill.

Above: Sunrise at Rest Stop 1.

Below: Smiles cresting Quadbuster. That's Michael 2nd in the background.

Lunch on Day 3 is in a tiny little town named Bradley. Of course we have to ride on Highway 101 and unbelievably bad pavement to get there. You have the option of having the ALC lunch or purchase some greasy cheeseburgers from the folks of Bradley. It cost, as it is fundraiser for the school, but after two days of chicken a nice greasy double cheeseburger hit the spot.

Above: Once again ahead of the packs in Bradley.

Below: Riders coming into Bradley as I get ready to leave.

Above: Grease theme at rest stop 4. I was a tad early. Shortly after noon. Filled water bottles had a snack and then was ready to go and head the last bit into camp but they were about ready to start a show. Parked my ass in a chair.

Below: I saw this bicycle as I was leaving Rest Stop 4. What caught my eye was the emblem of the state of Maine. This bicycle was made in Maine. The name 'Aegis' is also a Navy weapons system that is/was on a class of battleships that I worked on in a past life back at Bath Iron Works (summer jobs in College).

I was in Paso Robles fairly early and it was HOT!!! Paso Robles is a great place for people to princess because the hotels are so close. Princess = riders who sleep in hotels rather than tents on the ride. It was so hot that my brand new tire 'exploded'. The heat must have warmed my tire just right that it burst. The note below was strapped to my tent when I got back from swimming at David's hotel and AW root bear float. The tire had less than three hundred miles on it. I put them on just before the ride. Had to buy a new tire and now the front and back tires don't match. The horror. I kind of wish I was there when it exploded. I was parked directly behind the bike parking tent and I'm sure it blowing scared the bejeebus out of a few people under the tent. The bike also spent the night in the mechanic's shop overnight so some shifting anomalies could be fixed. I kept looking for Red Head Ranch but I don't think I rode past.

Larry's ALC7 Day 3 slideshow:


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: