Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tiltiing at Windmills - Double Metric: May 17, 2008

I should be riding to Marshal and climbing Marshal's Wall, but I'm not. Trevor is off running Bay2Breakers with Diane and I'm getting ready to do some maintenance to my bike that is sorely needed. With the temperatures so hot yesterday, the rubber on my tires became so pliable that I blew a tube. While changing it I looked more closely to my tire and I could clearly see some threads, not treads, threads. Hairy little protrusions. So I must change out my tires today. While I'm at it I need to swap out my break pads for new ones and change my cleats on my shoes. So instead of riding the 100-mile training ride today, I'm working on the bike and drinking wine as I do it.
Yesterday's ride was HOT!!!! 130 miles out to Livermore and the Altamot Pass and back. Quite a flat ride Norris Canyon the only significant climb of the day, which is less than a mile. Feeling good and strong.
Below: A smaller group of us at the next to last Rest Stop (mile 91). David (ernie and bert) rescued me from my flat with his CO2 cartridge. My new pump with it's fancy pressure gauge is a piece of crap. I was struggling with it for a half hour before he caught up. He broke his chain earlier in the day, so I was surprised to see him pass by but really glad he did.

Above: Mary
Below: David and David


Above and Below: Julie and David high fiving at the top of Norris Canyon




Above: Mary cresting Norris




Above and Below: getting ready for the 6:30 am ride out

route and data:


Total Time (h:m:s) 12:24:59, 5:42 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 8:30:06, 3:54 pace
Distance (mi ) 130.35
Moving Speed (mph) 15.3 avg., 38.7 max.
Elevation Gain (ft)+/-3,836

Heart Rate Data Avg, Low, High
Heart Rate (%max) 72, 42, 95
Heart Rate (bpm) 132, 78, 176


Temperature (°F) 76.6°F avg., 86°F high
Wind Speed (mph) NW 8.5 avg., NW 14.9 max.

No comments: