Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mountain View to San Ramon

Relatively flat, the ride only had one 'real' hill in Norris Canyon. Niles Canyon and Norris Canyon are beautiful, but all in all the South Bay is ugly. It's all strip malls and suburbia. Don't mean to offend, sorry.

Finally had the flat that I've been expecting for awhile now. The roads were wet this morning from drizzle, and when the roads are wet the chances of flats increase because things stick to the tire. I noticed the puncture as soon as it happened, phtheet.....phtheet......phtheet. Can't really complain it's my first flat with this bike (~2000 miles) and the tire is starting to wear with cracks and holes. If I start getting more flats, I'll purchase new.

Above: Niles Canyon with the low hanging clouds shortly after my flat.

Below: The source of god's elixir, a vineyard off from Foothill. Maybe I'll have to track down the specific vineyard.

route and data:


View Larger MapTotal Time (h:m:s): 7:37:39, 5:15 pace

Moving Time (h:m:s): 5:45:32, 3:58 pace
Distance (mi ) 87.02
Moving Speed (mph): 15.1 avg., 39.0 max.
Elevation Gain (ft)+4,693 / -4,693

Heart Rate Data: Avg, Low, High

Heart Rate (%max): 74, 46, 98

Heart Rate (bpm): 136, 85, 182

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Larry, I couldn't agree more about the beauty of the east bay. I moved back to San Ramon two years ago after an 8 year stint in the south bay. While riding south or west to Los Gator or Morgan Hill is great, the majority of the flatland in the south bay is ugly as sin. Much of the peninsula is the same. Riding in the east bat, I am never more than 5 minutes away from congestion-free country roads.